Torchlight Procession 2023
PLEASE NOTE: The Torchlight Procession has now sold out. For Health and Safety purposes, please do not arrive to take part in the Torchlight Procession if you have not booked a place onto the procession. If you have missed out, the Procession will be livestreamed on Facebook starting at 7:25pm on the night of Tuesday the 21st of November.
The Light Up A Life Torchlight Procession is one of the most poignant events in the St Barnabas calendar, now in its 23rd year.
This unique and iconic celebration is an opportunity for families and friends to join us in remembering the people that we love. The transfer of light throughout the event is symbolic; the flaming torch is carried by runners from our Lincoln Inpatient Unit on Nettleham Road to Claytons where it is used to light the procession torches.
Once all torches are lit, the procession will commence from Clayton Sports Ground at 7:30pm led by the RAF Waddington Pipe Band. We will journey past the Inpatient Unit, pausing for a moment of reflection, before moving onto Lincoln Cathedral. The event concludes with a service of celebration and reflection where the Tree of Life will be illuminated.
- 6:30pm – Clayton Sports Ground opens
- 7:30pm – Torchlight Procession starts
- 9:00pm – Finish
Messages of Love:
Messages of love allow the public to write a personal message that can be placed around the Tree of Life at Lincoln Cathedral following the procession. These will be available on the night at Clayton Sports Ground or after the service at the Cathedral for a small donation.
- The Torchlight Procession is an outdoor event featuring wax-based flaming torches.
- Please dress appropriately as it is often very cold.
- Torches are only available for over 18’s.
- Battery operated lanterns are available.
- No dogs allowed.
Road Closures & No Waiting / No Loading At any Time Orders in place on:
- Nettleham Road – Longdales Road
- A15 – Pottergate Junction
- Lee Road – Wragby Road to Nettleham Road
- Nettleham Road – Lee Road to Priory Gate
- Priory gate – Nettleham Road to Wragby Road
- Church Lane – Nettleham Road to Newport
- Eastgate – Nettleham Road to Greetwell Gate
- Newport – Bailgate to Rasen Lane
- Castle Hill – Exchequer Gate
- Minster Yard
Advanced warning signs will be put out 2 weeks before the event and all residents on the route will receive a letter giving them advance warning.
PERIOD OF RESTRICTIONS: 21/11/2022 (6:30pm to 9:00pm)
(Restrictions to be implemented when required in each location during this period, signage detailing accurate dates and times will be displayed on site in advance).
The following roads will be reopened when the Safety Officer has been advised that the procession cleared:
- Lee Road.
- Nettleham Road up to the Church Lane junction.
- Church Lane.
- Bailgate up to Westgate junction
- It is advisable for torches/lanterns to be pre-ordered upon booking your ticket. Additional torches and lanterns will be available for sale at Clayton Sports Ground on the night.
- When collecting your torches/lanterns on the night you will need to show us your order confirmation email. This will act as proof of your registration and torch/lantern reservation.
- Click here to read Frequently Asked Questions.