Torchlight Procession 2021
Due to capacity measures put in place because of the coronavirus pandemic, this year’s Torchlight Procession is pre-book only, with bookings now being closed. As an alternative to the event for those who can’t make it, there will be a pre-recorded Light up a Life celebration on our website and Facebook page from 7pm, with live streaming of the Torchlight Procession commencing at 7.30pm from our Facebook page. These videos will continue to be available once the event has finished.
The Light Up A Life Torchlight Procession event is in its 21st year and is taking place on Tuesday 23rd November 2021.
The procession is an opportunity for the community to come together to reflect and remember. The procession will commence from Claytons Sports Ground on Lee Road at 7.30pm. Participants will line up together in lanes where torches will be lit before the procession is led by the RAF Waddington Pipe band, finishing at the Cathedral.
The Fire Service will be present at the start and will follow the procession to the Cathedral and assist with extinguishing all torches at Exchequer Gate. A service of celebration and reflection will then take place at the West Front of the Cathedral where the Tree of Life will be illuminated. There will also be a virtual, pre-recorded Light up a Life church service available on the night on our website from 7pm.
Our Torchlight Procession is free and open to everyone, not just those touched by hospice care.
- 7pm – Runners arrive at Our Lady of Lincoln
- 7pm – Claytons Sport Ground opens
- 7:30pm – Torchlight Procession starts
- 8:10pm – Approx. – Last torch extinguished at Exchequer Gate
- 8:15pm – Blessing to start at the Lincoln Cathedral
- 9pm – Finish
- The Torchlight Procession is an outdoor event featuring wax-based flaming torches.
- Please dress appropriately as it is always very cold.
- Flaming torches are only available for over 18’s.
- Please take a rapid lateral flow 24 hours before attending.
- If you have tested positive for COVID-19, have developed any symptoms or have had contact with someone who has shown symptoms/ tested positive, please do not attend.
- Wear masks when assembling before the start, masks must be removed before torches are lit.
- Hand sanitiser will be available on site.
- Event will be available digitally if government advice alters and social distancing is imposed.
Road Closures & No Waiting / No Loading At any Time Orders in place on:
- Lee Road – Wragby Road to Nettleham Road
- Nettleham Road – Lee Road to Priory Gate
- Priory gate – Nettleham Road to Wragby Road
- Church Lane – Nettleham Road to Newport
- Eastgate – Nettleham Road to Greetwell Gate
- Newport – Bailgate to Rasen Lane
- Castle Hill – Exchequer Gate
- Minster Yard
PERIOD OF RESTRICTIONS: 23/11/2021 (19:00 Hrs to 21:00 Hrs)
(Restrictions to be implemented when required in each location during this period, signage detailing accurate dates and
times will be displayed on site in advance).
The following roads will be reopened when the Safety Officer has been advised that the procession cleared:
- Lee Road.
- Nettleham Road up to the Church Lane junction.
- Church Lane.
- Bailgate up to Westgate junction
- Due to COVID-19 risk management, pre-registration and pre-order of torches/lanterns is mandatory. When signing up, please register a place for each person attending. If, after you register, you have more people wishing to join your group, you will need to order another ticket for each person on this page before 21st November.
- When collecting your torches/lanterns on the night, all members of your group MUST be present with the lead point of contact, who will need to show us their order confirmation email. This will act as proof of your registration and torch reservation.