St Barnabas offers a Dementia support service for the people of Lincolnshire through our Specialist Dementia Nurses.
St Barnabas Hospice, working in partnership with Dementia UK, offer this essential service for Dementia patients and their families.
Our Specialist Dementia Nurses work together with families to provide the one- to one support, expert guidance and practical solutions they need to live more positively with dementia each and every day.
Their clinical knowledge and skills help prevent crisis and build carers resilience which in turn supports families to maintain quality of life and a sense of control. They also work alongside other professionals in the dementia care pathway, sharing best practice.
Coronavirus and Support
If you have any concerns about caring for someone with dementia through the Covid-19 pandemic, please call our Specialist Dementia Nurses on our Helpline, on 0800 888 6678 or email [email protected]. The Helpline is open seven days a week, 9am-9pm Monday to Friday, and 9am-5pm on weekends.
Visit the Dementia UK website for helpful tips, leaflets and videos to support you further.
• Conduct a specialist assessment with families who have complex needs and devise a plan to address these.
• Provide psychological support to help people with dementia and their families understand and deal with their feelings, thoughts and emotions.
• Give practical advice and strategies aimed at preventing and managing situations that can arise after a dementia diagnosis.
• Equip carers with stress management techniques and and coping strategies, provide specialist carer education and training.
• Manage and coordinate care, when required
• Work together with families using therapeutic and educational interventions
• Work in liaison with other professionals and organisations to make sure that families obtain co-ordinated support
• Advocate for families who might not know the best questions to ask, or who to ask them of, and can help families prepare for complicated processes such as continuing healthcare assessments. or finding suitable long term care.
The service will be available to people with dementia and their family carers with complex needs who are registered with a GP practice in Lincolnshire West, Lincolnshire East, South West Lincolnshire and South Lincolnshire.
The main pathway for referral will be through the health and social care professionals in your neighbourhood. Professionals within hospice care, the Lincolnshire Carers Service and Lincolnshire Dementia Support Service will also be able to make referrals to the service.
Contact the St Barnabas Specialist Dementia Nurse Service
You can make referrals to this service by calling 01522 551 250