St Barnabas is inviting the local community to celebrate the life of someone special by dedicating a light on one of seven Trees of Life across Lincolnshire.
This is part of the Hospice’s annual Light up a Life campaign, which will help the Hospice to support and care for patients living with a life-limiting or terminal illness, and their families and carers, at a difficult time of year.
Each of the Hospice buildings will house one of the special Trees of Life over the festive season. These will be at: Boston, Gainsborough, Grantham (Barrowby Road), Lincoln (Nettleham Road), Louth and Spalding. There will also be a 25ft. Tree of Life standing proudly outside Lincoln Cathedral, which was kindly donated by the Birch family at Doddington Hall & Gardens.
Local people are also invited to celebrate the life of their loved ones at one of nine Light up a Life events in November and December. Each event will feature touching readings, music and a time for quiet reflection. Candles will also be lit in remembrance. These events are as follows:
- Boston – Sunday 26th November 2017, 2pm – Salvation Army, 59-61 High Street, Boston, PE21 8ST
- Lincoln – Tuesday 28th November 2017, 6pm – Our Lady of Lincoln Church, Laughton Way, Lincoln, LN2 2HE (followed by a Torchlight Procession at 7.30pm from Clayton’s Sports Ground, Lee Road, Lincoln, LN2 4BH)
- Skegness – Friday 1st December 2017, 6.30pm – St Pauls Baptist Church, 19 Beresford Avenue, Skegness, PE25 3JD
- Spalding – Sunday 3rd December 2017, 3pm – St John the Baptist Church, Hawthorn Bank, Spalding, PE11 1JQ
- Sleaford – Monday 4th December 2017, 6.45pm – Sleaford Methodist Church, 8 Claybergh Drive, Sleaford, NG34 7GB
- Gainsborough – Tuesday 5th December 2017, 6.30pm – United Reformed Church, Gladstone Street, Gainsborough, DN21 2JR
- Louth – Sunday 10th December 2017, 3pm – Louth Methodist Church, Nichol Hill, Louth, LN11 9NQ
- Grantham – Tuesday 12th December 2017, 6pm – St Wulframs Church, Church Street, Grantham, NG31 6RR
- Sutton – Saturday 16th December 2017, 3pm – St Andrew, Sutton Road, Hannah cum Hagnaby, LN13 9QL
All of these unique celebrations are a special time for families and friends to join together in remembering the people that they love, who are no longer with us.
Each event will last approximately 1 – 1.5 hours, is free to attend and open to everyone, regardless of faith. There is no need to book in advance.
The Lincoln event includes the iconic and moving Torchlight Procession, which involves over 2,000 local residents joining forces to walk from Clayton’s Sports Ground to Lincoln Cathedral, carrying flaming torches in memory of loved ones.
St Barnabas is also on the lookout for local runners to take on an extremely important role during the Lincoln Light up a Life service and Torchlight Procession on Tuesday 28th November. Their job will be to light the first torches and run approximately one mile with them from the service at Our Lady of Lincoln Church to Clayton’s Sports Ground. As it is St Barnabas’ 35th birthday year, the Hospice hopes they are able to get 35 runners to take on this role. Runners must be aged 16 or over. To express an interest, please contact Ella Beale on 01522 540 300 or email@example.com.
The Lincoln Light up a Life event will be held on Tuesday 28th November 2017 at 6pm at Our Lady of Lincoln Church, followed by a Torchlight Procession from Clayton’s Sports Ground on Lee Road, Lincoln, LN2 4BH at 7.30pm.
If you would like to dedicate a light in memory of someone you will never forget, or for more information about the Light up a Life events, please go to www.stbarnabashospice.co.uk/LUAL.