Torchlight Procession 2022
The Light Up A Life Torchlight Procession is one of the most poignant events in the St Barnabas calendar and has been running for 22 years.
This unique and iconic celebration is an opportunity for families and friends to join us in remembering the people that we love. The transfer of light throughout the event is symbolic; the flaming torch is carried by runners from Our Lady of Lincoln Church to Claytons where it is used to light the procession torches.
Once all torches are lit, the procession will commence from Claytons Sports Ground at 7.30pm led by RAF Waddington Pipe Band. We will journey past the Hospice on Nettleham road, pausing for a moment of reflection, before moving onto the West Front of Lincoln Cathedral. The event concludes with a service of celebration and reflection where the Tree of Life will be illuminated.
Our Torchlight Procession is free and open to everyone, not just those touched by hospice care.
- 7pm – Runners arrive at Our Lady of Lincoln
- 7pm – Claytons Sport Ground opens
- 7:30pm – Torchlight Procession starts
- 8:10pm – Approx. – Last torch extinguished at Exchequer Gate
- 8:15pm – Blessing to start at the Lincoln Cathedral
- 9pm – Finish
Messages of Love:
Messages of love allow the public to write a personal message that can be placed around the Tree Of Life at Lincoln Cathedral following the procession. These will be available on the night at Claytons Sports Ground or after the service at the Cathedral.
- The Torchlight Procession is an outdoor event featuring wax-based flaming torches.
- Please dress appropriately as it is often very cold.
- Torches are only available for over 18’s.
- Battery operated lanterns are available.
- If you have any symptoms/ tested positive or have had contact with someone who has shown symptoms/ tested positive, please do not attend.
- If you would like to wear a face covering please ensure this is removed before torches are lit.
- Hand sanitiser will be available on site.
Road Closures & No Waiting / No Loading At any Time Orders in place on:
- Lee Road – Wragby Road to Nettleham Road
- Nettleham Road – Lee Road to Priory Gate
- Priory gate – Nettleham Road to Wragby Road
- Church Lane – Nettleham Road to Newport
- Eastgate – Nettleham Road to Greetwell Gate
- Newport – Bailgate to Rasen Lane
- Castle Hill – Exchequer Gate
- Minster Yard
Advanced warning signs will be put out 2 weeks before the event and all residents on the route will receive a letter giving them advance warning.
PERIOD OF RESTRICTIONS: 22/11/2022 (19:00 Hrs to 21:00 Hrs)
(Restrictions to be implemented when required in each location during this period, signage detailing accurate dates and times will be displayed on site in advance).
The following roads will be reopened when the Safety Officer has been advised that the procession cleared:
- Lee Road.
- Nettleham Road up to the Church Lane junction.
- Church Lane.
- Bailgate up to Westgate junction
- Due to crowd management, pre-registration and pre-order of torches/lanterns is required. When signing up, please register a place for each person attending. If, after you register, you have more people wishing to join your group, you will need to order another ticket for each person on this page before 20th November.
- When collecting your torches/lanterns on the night you will need to show us your order confirmation email. This will act as proof of your registration and torch/lantern reservation.
- Click here to read Frequently Asked Questions.